Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Your fly is open

Every once in a while, we give Chance little lessons about the culture that he lives in. Things that he has not as of yet picked up on.

Today, our lesson was on his "fly."

It was open, and I told him that he needed to zip up his pants. Then it occurred to me that someone else may tell him something like, "Chance your fly is open." And he would have absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

I had a thought of Chance being told that his fly was open and Chance standing there, a very perplexed look on his face as he searched the air for flies.

So, I explained to him that the zipper on his pants was sometimes called a fly. When Chance gave me a look of, "What are you talking about," I pointed out that it was called a fly and I didn't know why but it was.

Then I told him that if his zipper was undone, someone may tell him,"Your fly is undone. Or zip up your fly."

I could tell that this concept was new to Chance and that he never must have heard the phrase before.

We learn something new every day, they say, and today Chance learned that he has a fly.

This lesson could very well save Chance from a very embarrassing situation down the road.

No comments: