Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chance makes a phone call

While driving down the road, I received a phone call from home. When I called back, no one was quite sure who had called me.

"Did anyone call mom?" Chance's older brother asked doubtfully.
From somewhere in the background, I heard Chance's voice.

"I did."

A moment later, a very serious Chance was on the phone.

"Why did you take the baby to the hospital?"

It occurred to me then that Chance may not have got on to exactly what had happened.

Chance had been playing at a neighbor's house while I took his little sister into the doctors office. I ended up calling the neighbor and telling her that Chance's dad would be coming to get the kids in a minute because I was heading over to the hospital to have the baby tested for RSV.

I don't know what information was passed onto Chance by the neighbor, his dad or his brother, but apparently, Chance did not get the whole story.

After a while, he just decided to take matters into his own hands and called my cell phone. By the time he called, I was actually on the way home.

"Where is the baby now?" Chance wanted to know.

"She is with me and we are almost home." I told him.

"O.k. Bye." Chance said sounding quite relieved.

When we got home, Chance actually met us at the end of the driveway. He wanted to check and make sure that the baby was indeed ok before we went any further.

1 comment:

Ann said...

This is a HUGE milestone in my view. To feel like he can hear well enough on the phone to just call and ask his questions, and get past his concerns, rather than letting it rankle until he saw you is HUGE! I always had things hang inside until I could get the facts. Even now, I'm slow to go to the phone to clear things up! AWESOME!