I was going through the house sorting papers, when I came across a little gem of a note written by Chance about how he feels about being deaf. I don't know the year, but here is the list exactly as he wrote it:
1. I can take them off whenever I want.
2. I can tell most of the time who is flirting with me.
3. I can make jokes about deaf people.
4. I can use it as an excuse not to hear when I don't want to.
5. Get more specialty features.
1. Not being able to sing
2. Teachers give me too much attention.
There it is, insight into Chance's thought process. I am glad he wrote these things down on a piece of paper from our game Cranium, and that the paper made it back out to see the light again.
I asked Chance how he felt about the list now, and this is what he said:
"The bad things in this list are pretty accurate, maybe one more bad thing. But the good things in this list, are a very small portion or sliver of all of the good things that come from being deaf. For example, if anyone is playing music that is not country music, I can take my implants off as needed."