Pages

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Football and drippy clothes

I got up the other morning thinking I was so on the ball.  I had Chance's breakfast ready and waiting on the table, Chance was almost ready for school and a load of laundry was  humming along in the washing machine.

Then I realized that Chance did not have his implants on.  It would be great entertainment for an outside observer to peek in at our house when we all think Chance has his implant on and he doesn't.  It takes us a minute to realize that all of our talking, explaining or asking is not making a dent in Chance's thinking since he can't hear anything that  we say.

I put myself in Chance's line of vision and asked him where his implants were.  He then told me that he didn't know, he had given them to me the night before.  

That was right, he had handed one implant to me as he lay in bed.  Only one though.   Once that one implant was on,  I asked Chance where the other implant was.  He informed me that it was in the pocket of his robe.  From there, our conversation was like a comedy of errors.

"You weren't wearing your robe last night, why did you put your implant in your robe? "  I asked him.

"Because  the top part kept turning when I was playing football so I took it off."

Now isn't that just logical.  Chance put his implant in his robe pocket when he was playing football. Why hadn't I thought of looking in his robe pocket ?    All I can say is, I left the house for about 40 minutes the night before so I don't know exactly what happened.  

When I asked Chance where his robe was,  he told me that he didn't know.  Thus began a hunt that I recruited all of the kids to participate in.

Suddenly, I felt ill.  There was a load of laundry all wet and soapy sloshing around in the laundry room.  It was a load of mostly towels, but a fluffy robe easily could have been included in the laundry basket.  I started to wonder if I should just pull all of the drippy clothes out one by one to verify if the robe was in the load. Just as I was thinking I would need to drive Chance into school since his van would be there any minute,  someone found the robe and the implant in the pocket. 

Had we not found the second implant,  Chance could have gone to school with just one of course.  But I knew that he wouldn't stand for that.  He does not just do one implant anymore unless there is an emergency situation.  Like he is on the soccer field in the middle of a game.  Or he is in the middle of watching fireworks, or we've told him that he only has 5 minutes left to play with his friends.   If there is not an "emergency" situation, then Chance will not stand for only wearing on implant.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Oh, my! I can relate. There have been many panicky periods of time at various intervals over the years, where I realize my implants/hearing aids and etc. were missing. No matter how careful you become, there's always that once or twice a year where you're tired/careless and etc. The good thing, is 95% of the time, all ends well!