Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Chance is student of the week

Chance being sick last week was kind of a bummer because apparently he was named student of the week. When I picked up Chance from school today, I asked Chance if everyone got to be student of the week. He said no. I thought that maybe it was a situation where each child got a turn at being student of the week.

When I got home, there was a message from Chance's principle who presented Chance with the certificate. He said that the reason Chance was nominated by his teacher is because he is an example to everyone in his class. He always gets his work done and he does it well. And he is a friend to everyone. They emphasized everyone. We are of course very proud of Chance.

Chance's teachers have told me since preschool that Chance is caring and friendly to everyone. When he was in preschool, there was a little girl who was in a wheelchair and required oxygen. His teacher told me that it was really touching because Chance would sit down on the floor with her so she had someone to play with since the other kids were running all around or going outside.

I had a flashback today of a book I read when we first found out that Chance was deaf. The book claimed to be unbiased about communication methodologies for deaf children. This is just what I wanted. I was trying to be informed about raising a deaf child. It was an awful book. It was quite biased, going so far as to say that deaf children who do not learn sign language as their primary mode of communication are more violent, are less caring and lack empathy for their peers. Well then, no pressure intended for parents. So, at times like today when Chance is honored for being a friend to everyone, I remember that book and would love to meet the author and let him see how wrong he was in his book.

No comments: