Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The foam thingies

Chance found some foam thingies (I don't know how else to describe them) attached to a string and put them in his ears. At first, I thought that he had his brother's ipod but then I realized that:
One, it didn't look like his brother's headphones, and
Two, the cord lead behind his head and down his back. Unless the ipod was attached to Chance's back side somewhere, it just didn't make sense.

I had been having a conversation with Chance for several minutes before I began to question what he had attached into his ears. I wondered how he could still hear me with foam thingies in his ears. Then it dawned on me that this was my deaf son. The microphone for his implants hangs over his ears. He could put a banana inside of his ear and it really wouldn't affect his hearing.

I asked Chance where he got the foam thingies and he said that he had found them. I then told him that we should not put things inside of our ears.

Chance wanted to know why. So I started to explain how we don't put things inside of our ears because the parts that make our ears work are not that far into the ear canal and we can damage them.

This was when Chance's dad began to snicker.

"I know, I know," he said still laughing, "he can still damage his eardrum or affect his balance. It's just kind of funny explaining how he will ruin his ears when he is deaf."

The moral of this story is that even if you are deaf, you still get the lecture by your parents about not sticking things inside your ear or you'll ruin them. Some things just come with the territory of being a child.

4 comments:

Cyborg Queen said...

Been there done that. When I was real little (5 or 6 years old), I put in very tiny batteries in my ear. The type that goes in calculators, watches, etc. My mom caught me putting in the second one in my other ear and asked me, "What did you do that for?"

All I could say was, "So I can hear. Maybe my battery not work?"
Needless to say, I ended up in the hospital to remove the two batteries.

Abbie said...

I'm snickering right along. Its the irony of all ironies.

Mom to Toes said...

Hi!

I just stumbled on your blog. I love it!

I have a 2.5 year old daughter born deaf who now has bilateral implants. It is so helpful to read about older children who are further along on this journey.

Thank you for sharing Chance's story!

Loudest Mom said...

Very funny! My favorite is when I'm talking to one of the kids in the morning, and they are just NOT doing what I need them to do, and I ask - why aren't you listening? Only to find out the child doesn't have their implant on yet. Oops! I have one daughter who can be a slower started, and will sometimes wait an 1/2 hour or so to put on her CI.....You'd think I'd know that by now :)