Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Jumping implants

I go help in Chance's classroom once a week. Sometimes I test the kids on various things, but most of the time, they read to me. Each child has their own box full of books and they choose one to read to me. It really is quite fun.

We sit out in the hall on chairs right outside the classroom door. I have been sitting on those chairs outside the classroom since school started in September with no incident. Well today, as Chance was reading to me, the magnet part of his implant suddenly jumped onto the metal door frame. I turned to look at Chance and noticed that his implant was stretching and clinging to the door frame. Chance was reading along and swatting at it like you would a fly. I told him that it was sticking to the door and he was quite amused by that. We both laughed, detached the magnet from the door frame, and then went on reading.

A few seconds later, the magnet again jumped onto the door frame. Chance said "What the...." then stopped and detached the magnet again. We decided to switch places and see if that would help. It did the trick. Chance's implant no longer tried to bond with the door frame.
I had heard that the magnets on the implants could jump onto metal door frames etc. but I had never actually seen it happen.

What I find most amusing though, is that I have sat with Chance out in the hall for months now and nothing like this has happened. I don't know if the chair Chance was in was situated just right for the magnetic pull to be stronger than usual or what. It was kind of funny though.

2 comments:

Abbie said...

I've actually tried to get this to happen. I've plastered my ear up against the filing cabinet to get it to jump on command and it does not happen!

Loudest Mom said...

I look forward to reading more about Chance. I have four kids who are all HOH/deaf. Three have CI's and one has bilateral hearing aids. My middle daughter had her CI done in Utah (she was the first to get implanted :)