Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What's in a name?

So, I learned during speech therapy this week that I need to adjust to Chance being able to hear. Apparently, I got so used to tapping Chance to get his attention, that I am still doing that sometimes. In the past it was a necessity because sometimes Chance just could not hear me. However, now I must use Chance's name and wait for him to respond. And Chance is responding, because he is hearing me call his name. Chance is literally learning to hear his name. Most of us spend our lives focused on our name without even thinking about it. If you hear someone using your name across the room, you tune in to see if you can catch the conversation. Chance's deafness has kept him from hearing his name across the room. Until now. Will the implant give Chance the hearing he would have had if he never went deaf? No. But Chance is able to hear his name more and more and learn to respond and listen for it. Now, if his mom can remember that she doesn't have to tap him to get his attention all the time :)

No comments: