Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Expect it !

Back in November of last year, The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing(whew!), had their annual conference at the Uof U. The guest speaker was Carol Flexor, a leading authority in audiology and oral-deaf issues. She gave a great presentation and basically told us parents not to settle when it came to our kids and their abilities. Something she said continues to occupy my thoughts. She said "expect your kids to hear 20 to 30 feet away." At the time, I was astounded. 20 to 30 feet? Chance certainly did not hear 20 to 30 feet away on a regular basis. Infact, he rarely heard you at 20 to 30 feet away. That changed today. I noticed that Chance was getting ready to turn on the hose in the backyard and so I stepped out onto the porch to tell him to stop. I called his name twice and Chance did not seem to hear. Then, on the third time, Chance looked up, and all around and then his eyes settled on me and I was able to tell him not to turn on the hose from the porch which is about 30 feet away! I was not talking in an everyday voice, but I was not yelling either. And the wind was blowing pretty good plus there were all of the noises that you find outside. The fact that my little boy could hear me call him from 30 feet away is reason to celebrate indeed!!!

No comments: