Pages

Monday, July 17, 2006

Once a mom, always a mom...to everyone

I have noticed something about Chance's deaf friends that is different from his friends who are not deaf. Chance's deaf friends refer to me as mom. Not just on occasion or by mistake, but every time they address me. And Chance's dad is well, dad. Chance's friends who are not deaf, do not call me mom except maybe by mistake and then they quickly correct themselves. My theory is this......the deaf kids don't pick up on the names like the hearing kids do.....and they don't have the vocabulary. Maybe we as parents don't fill our deaf kids in on what to call other people because it just doesn't occur to us. It is interesting. I don't know if Chance calls other parents mom and dad...I'll have to start asking around.
Chance's imagination has really blossomed the last little while. Part of that is just his age, but I wonder if part of it can be attributed to the fact that he is hearing more. For instance, Chance has said that he "hears" a passing army helicopter shooting. And a monster has apparently taken up residence near the ditch. Chance has seen the monster many times (as have his friends his age both deaf and those with normal hearing). But today, Chance told me that he heard the monster. Funny thing is, contractors were putting in an air-conditioning unit for the house next door and there were lots of knocking sounds that went along with the installation. And the work was being done pretty darn close to where the monster was spotted.Coincidence?

No comments: