Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

The funeral

Last week one of Chance's really good little friends lost her dad to a sudden heart attack. Chance and this little girl started out in preschool together and it has just been this year that they not been in the same class. She is deaf as well and wears an implant. Chance has not seen her for a while since they are not in the same class this year, but when they were reunited, it was as if they had never been parted.

We were at the viewing waiting in line when Chance cocked his head and said,"I hear her somewhere around here!" I could hear her too and was looking around to find her.

I wasn't sure how she would be feeling since she was at her own dad's viewing, and I wasn't sure how Chance would be feeling either once we got to the front of the line. When they saw each other, they hugged and then Chance was whisked away from me. She introduced him to her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. She led him to the many displays around the room that depicted aspects of her dad's life. By the time I got to the front of the line, I was being introduced as Chance's mom. Some of the family expressed that they were grateful that Chance was there to be with his friend.
The most touching moment came when I watched the two of them at the casket, both peering down at a man that Chance had spent time with as he played at his friends house through the years.

"It's kind of sad." She said to Chance.

"Yeah." Chance replied.

"He looks different huh?" She asked

"Yeah, he does look different." Chance responded.

They both sat there and looked in the casket for another few seconds and then they were off again, arms linked.

I was glad that Chance was able to be with his little friend during such a difficult time. I was also very touched as I realized that these two kids who had started out together in a preschool where they were literally learning how to talk and express themselves, were now going around the room talking to people as Chance was introduced to all of the relatives. We ended up staying until the end of the viewing as Chance and his little friend were inseperable.

She kept asking if we were coming to the funeral. She was going to play a piano piece and wanted Chance to be there. I asked Chance when we got to the van if he wanted to attend the funeral and he said that he did. We went to the funeral and we listened as a great man was given his last respects.

We know at our house the dedication that it takes to help a child learn to hear and this man and his wife have done a great job with their little daughter. When their insurance company would not pay for the implant, they started fund raising for the money themselves so that their daugter would have the opportunity to hear. May he rest in peace.

2 comments:

Ammie said...

awww......that is so sweet! AND so like Chance. He is such a sweetie! I'm so glad they are friends.

Michelle S. said...

Thank you for sharing this story. It is so very tender. I love that you and your family are so tender and I love this story. It is a triumph. It is what I needed to hear today.