Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Implants on T.V.

Just as a fluke, while flipping through the channels today, I came upon an educational station talking about cochlear implants. There were both implanted people and those in the Deaf community that gave their perspective on the implants. I was impressed with how impartial the program was. I did not feel that it took sides, but rather talked about different people and their personal choices on whether or not to get an implant.

The one thing that bothered me was when a woman in the Deaf community said that if she could she would like to tell parents of deaf kids to wait before getting the cochlear implant and to investigate all of the options. I actually agreed with her on that point. Parents should investigate what is available. The woman then said"Parents should wait and think about the options before getting an implant for their child they should not just get one before thinking things through." What bothered me about this comment is that I have heard it many times before and the implication is that we as parents just decide to get an implant for our children on a whim.

Deciding to get an implant for Chance was one of the most difficult decisions we have made. We studied and thought, and prayed for guidance. Every other parent I have talked to whose child has an implant went through a similar process. There was no instant decisions or rash surgeries. It is a myth that parents are jumping into getting an implant for their child without due diligence. At least the parents that I know who have implanted kids.

That aside, I have a lot of respect for the people in the Deaf community who they interviewed. I did not sense any hostility or anger at parents who get an implant for their children. They talked about why they personally decided not to get an implant and I respect that.

Chance thought the show was interesting though he only watched for a few minutes. During one of the signing segments, Chance informed me that in school last year he and his deaf peers would sign to each other if, as he put it,"it was a secret."

Kind of nice to have that option in school I would think. Your own "secret" language that you can share with your good friends when you don't want everyone to know what you are saying. Quiet too so the teacher doesn't suspect anything:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Chance sign?

PinkLAM said...

Signing across the room.. that's pretty clever :)
You might be interested in seeing more talk about implants on TV... there is going to be a late-deafened guy with bilateral CIs on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on Sunday night. I have no idea how much/how accurately they will portray his implants, but it should be interesting!

PinkLAM said...

Signing across the room.. that's pretty clever :)
You might be interested in seeing more talk about implants on TV... there is going to be a late-deafened guy with bilateral CIs on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on Sunday night. I have no idea how much/how accurately they will portray his implants, but it should be interesting!