Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gramdma is amazed at what Chance can hear

The kids and I went on an impromptu outing with grandma and grandpa to feed the ducks a few days ago. The weather was great and grandpa had lots of extra bread so it was a perfect mix.
There were hoards of ducks and the longer we stayed, the more ducks appeared. It was kind of along the lines of "if you build it they will come". As we fed them, they came with all of their relatives, friends and neighbors. A great feeding frenzy is just the atmosphere that makes feeding ducks perfect. No matter how many kids are present there are enough ducks for everyone to feel appreciated as they throw crumbs of bread.

Chance ran with his siblings and cousins along the edge of the little pond gigging and tossing bread. Down at the far end of the pond, there was a big willow tree and Chance and a few of the other kids made their way down to the tree to check things out. When it was time to go Chance's grandmother called out to the kids by name.

I admit that in my mind, I thought,"there is no way that Chance heard that." My thought was that when Chance's older brother started walking toward us, I would tell him to tell Chance that it was time to go.

Then, lo and behold, who should be the first and ONLY child to turn around, look at us and start walking towards us? CHANCE! I was amazed and impressed. I never even would have attempted to call Chance from that long of a distance.

Chance's grandmother turned to me visibly amazed as well and said,"HE HEARD ME! HOW GREAT IS THAT?"

That is great indeed.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hmmm...maybe hearing kids need a dose of all the listening games and lessons a deaf kid gets! :) In my household, the little ones seem to be deafer than I am! :) Maybe I need to pretend they have cochlear implants and do listening games with them! :)