Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A year behind, or a year ahead?

Chance loves attending cub scouts. Tonight, several of the boys at scouts were talking about how they were in the 3rd grade. Chance told them that he was old enough to be in the third grade too. One boy did not believe him so Chance decided to explain it to him. I asked Chance what he said and this is what he told me:

'I told them that I was deaf because I got derated and had to go to the hospital."

"Dehydrated?" I asked him.

"Yes, dehydrated." Chance corrected.

"So that is why there is a "deaf child" sign in the neighborhood!" One of the boys said. "He did not know I was deaf!" Chance laughed.

Chance continued, "I did not hear very well before the implants so I did two years in school or I would be in third grade too."

It didn't seem to bother Chance he just said it matter of factly. Apparently, the other boys were impressed. Chance does not go to school with these boys as he is bused to a school with a School for the Deaf satellite branch. He will probably be attending his local school next year though.

I am glad that Chance does not seem to have a complex about being a grade behind most kids his age.

When I went to help at the school this week, I overheard Chance bragging to one of his classmates that he was the oldest in the class. He would be turning NINE at his next birthday.
So there you have it. Chance is proud that he is the oldest. Hopefully, it will always be thus.

Chance's birthday is situated so that he would be one of the youngest kids in his class if he was in the third grade which is nice. And he will be able to drive before most of the other kids in his class. That should make him cool. I was one of the first ones to drive in my grade and was the envy of many.

1 comment:

The Brights said...

Hello,

I just found your blog linked from another's. My son is 3 and was bilaterally implanted at 2. I took a few minutes and read through some of the old posts. It's great to read about older CI kiddos and all they've accomplished! Chance seems so cute and confident. I hope Tayten will grow up to be like that too!

Thanks for letting me peek :o)