Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lessons on Breathing

We were on our way to the library today and as usual we passed the cemetery.

"Everyone hold your breath while we go by the cemetery!" My oldest son urgently told us.

After a few seconds, I asked him why we were doing this.

"I don knoow!" He tried to muffle through inflated cheeks.

Chance turned around to see what was going on and when he saw his brother and sister with their cheeks all puffed out, he asked them what they had inside their mouths.

Both of them vigorously shook their heads. Chance looked bewildered. "We are holding our breath while we pass the cemetery," I told him. Obviously I was cheating a little and taking breaths.

"Holding our breath?" Chance asked confused.

"We're not breathing while we pass the cemetery. I told him.

"Cemetery?" Chance questioned.

So I told Chance that we were passing the cemetery where they bury people when they die.

"You don't breath when you die?" Chance wanted to know.

I told him that you didn't breath and your heart stopped beating.

Chance was now staring at his brother and sister who were panting for air. It takes us a few minutes to pass the cemetery.

"If you don't hold your breath when you pass a cemetery, you are haunted by people that are buried there." My oldest son informed us.

So all in all, I think Chance learned some new words today that he can bank up in his memory for later use. We'll have to work on those words though. Holding your breath and cemetery are not words that come up in everyday conversation.

No comments: