Pages

Sunday, June 08, 2008

It is too loud!!

We were visiting my sisters church and all of us were spread across the bench. This was not a problem for the first half of the service, but about half way through, Chance's sister started to color right next to him.

I sensed movement and looked to see Chance and his sister frantically whispering to one another. I thought I heard Chance say something like," It is too loud!"

I looked to see what his sister was doing, but she was just coloring.

I caught Chance's eye and had him come over to me. I asked him what was going on.

"She is too loud! He frantically whispered.

"Chance, she is just coloring. " I whispered back.

"I know! She is too loud! I cannot hear!"

I had Chance's sister move over by me to resume her coloring and Chance was just fine. Apparently, in the quiet, he could hear the sound of the markers on the paper and it disturbed him. Once I had his sister next to me and focused in on it, I realized that I could hear her coloring too. This is just one of those sounds that usually just fades into background noise for most of us I guess.

Well, we can't fault a deaf child for hearing too much can we?

No comments: