Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chance the eavsdropper

I have a friend, who lives across the country and I was trying to reach her all day today. She is more like a sister to me and we have known each other since we were young, so my kids call her Auntie Chris. However, each time I tried to get a hold of her today, I got one of her kids who said that they did not know when she would be home.

I was finally able to reach her late this afternoon. Chance and his siblings rotate jobs at our house and Chance's job was the dining room today so he was busy at work while I was on the phone.

When I got on the phone with my friend I was harassing her a bit about her being gone all day.
I said, something like, "Yeah, I kept trying to call you today but your kids said you had been gone for days now and they had no idea when you would be home." She laughed and we went on with our conversation. A few seconds later, Chance with a rather shocked look on his face said, "Auntie Chris has been gone for days and her kids don't know where she is?"

I had to stifle a laugh as I turned to see Chance kneeling on the floor picking something up, an intent look on his face as he pondered what he had heard.

I explained that I was only teasing Auntie Chris because I had been unable to reach her all day. Then I reminded him that Auntie Chris has a teenager who can watch her sister who is Chance's age when she is away. Chance's expression relaxed and his face broke into a little grin. He got the joke. He also over heard me on the phone without even thinking about it and while he was involved with his daily chore. How cool is that?

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Hehe, I guess you have to watch what you say around him now :)