Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Saying goodbye is not always sweet sorrow

There is a family that is interested in buying Chance's old hearing aids. Obviously we don't need them anymore:)
Chance heard me on the phone talking about the hearing aids and came up to me to see what I was talking about.
"Hearing aids?" He asked me.
"Yes, someone might buy your old hearing aids."
Chance's eyes got big. I don't think he spends much time remembering those and had forgotten they existed.
"Is that ok, or do you want them back so you can wear them?" I asked.
Chance shook his head vigourously. I don't want them back!"
"Why not? Don't you miss them?" I asked.
"I could not hear with those!" He replied.
This began a discussion of the things that Chance had heard with his heairng aids.
"Could you hear your friends with your heairng aids?" I asked.
"Sometimes. But not if they were too far away."
"Could you hear your teacher at school?" I wondered aloud.
"Not all of the time." Chance told me.
"Could you hear your mom?" I wanted to know.
"Yes." He giggled. "But not all of the time."

"There is a little boy who can not hear very well Chance and he might need your hearing aids. Is that ok?" I asked.

Chance's eyebrows went up. "There is a little boy who can not her very well?"
"He needs hearing aids like you did. Do you want to say goodbye to your hearing aids?"
"No. Does he already have the hearing aids?"
"No, his mom and dad will come and get them a little later. Is that ok?"
Chance nodded.
Now the journey will begin for someone else.

No comments: