Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

Overheard conversations......

The thoughts and conversations of Chance:

After returning from a shopping trip, a box of Glad garbage bags was sitting on my kitchen counter. Shortly thereafter, I heard the following....

Chance: "Why do these garbage sacks say glad on them?"

Chance's friend: "Because they are glad!"

***********************

Chance was sitting on his Dad's lap on the eve of St. Patrick's Day contemplating some of the mysteries of life.

Chance: "How big are leprechauns?" He asked holding his fingers about 7 inches apart to judge if that looked like about the right size.

"They are bigger than that." His dad replied. Chance looked amazed. "Why are some leprechauns big and some are little?"

Chance also wondered aloud if the leprechauns would turn our milk green as has happened for the past several years at our house.

***********************

Chance asking questions of his grandpa for a school project:

"What kind of car did you drive in the 1950's?"

Chance's grandpa sat for a moment and asked, "I wasn't old enough to drive in the 50's. How old does your teacher think I am?!"

"What was your favorite movie in the 1950"s? Chance asked his pencil poised ready to write down the answer.

"I would run home to watch Flash Gordon after school." His grandpa replied.

'Flash Gordon?" Chance asked writing down his answer as his grandpa spelled out the unfamiliar name.

***********************

Chance sat at the kitchen table reading a book.

"Is throughout a compound word?" He wanted to know.

"Yes, that is right. Good job." I responded smiling to myself as I realized Chance was getting the concept of compound words.

***********************

Chance was looking over a book order form that he brought home from school.

"How many bucks does this cost?" He wanted to know as he eyed a deluxe piggy bank that took both the swipe of a card and a key to open it.

***********************

Chance came running in the house breathless and asking for marshmallows.

"We need marshmallows for our camp out fire." Chance said holding open a plastic baggie in anticipation for a marshmallow drop.

I looked out the garage door to see several neighborhood kids gathered in a circle around a pile of sticks in my driveway.

I filled the baggie and added some graham crackers to boot.

'Thanks mom!" Chance said kissing me as he headed out the garage door.

"Guys, I got the marshmallows!" He gushed sprinting through the garage. This was met with happy cheers all round.

***********************

Chance walked into the laundry room requesting a granola bar to eat. Later as he asked for something else to eat, I told him that he had already had a granola bar.

"But granola bars are too short!" He complained indicating their meager size with his fingers.
"My tummy is not full yet!"

No comments: