Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Our first therapy session with the implant

Yesterday, we had our first speech therapy session since the implant. Lori is a teacher at the School for the Deaf and has an implant herself. She has some great insight to having an implant. She said people with implants don't need things said louder if they don't seem to understand what you have said. Instead, they need it said a little clearer and maybe a bit slower. Lori is a great example of what a deaf person can do. Her speech is great and she can do anything anyone else can do. She has a unique perspective on having an implant that I appreciate. She can let me in on little things like how the sound of plastic bags drives her crazy since she has gotten the implant. Chance does not seem to mind that sound though. During therapy, Lori pointed out to Chance that when you scratch your arm, it makes a noise. I would not have thought of that having taken that for granted all my life. Lori also let Chance realize other sounds that were around him like when Chance kept sliding his hands along the floor. She asked him if he could hear that and he said yes. I would not have thought of that. It is amazing the things we get to take for granted when we have always heard. Lori is really excited for Chance and knows what he is going through. I turned up Chance's implant to the next level and he doesnt' seem to mind. He just goes with the flow. My little son is on a journey of discovery right now, and I am along for the ride.

No comments: