Pages

Friday, June 16, 2006

It had to happen sooner or later...

We lost the implant! We had to be somewhere this morning, and as we all raced to the car, I reached up to get the implant on my way out. It wasn't there. I asked Chance where it was and he didn't know. The little implant home was there (the box that is like a case for eye glasses), but the implant was not.
As I contemplated where the implant had been last, I realized that Chance's dad had been the last person seen with it. I made a quick phone call and found that Chance's dad was as surprised as I was that the implant was not in its usuual place. Hmmmmm. So it wasn't Chance that lost the implant for the first time, it was his dad.
The body unit did not have a magnet in it, and we had to run, so we went with out it. The hearing aids would come up missing every once in a while, so I was not overly concerned at first. For the rest of the day, I methodically checked all pockets before any pants went into the wash. I had a sick-to-your-gut feeling when I realized that a shirt with a pocket on the front had gone through the wash unchecked. With Chance's dad on the phone, I took the load of wash with said shirt in it, and put it in the dryer, all of the time scoping out the bottom of the washer. Thankfully, there was no dead little implant at the bottom of the wash basin. Late in the afternoon, Chance's dad had an "a-ha" moment, and called to say that he was wearing shorts last night which were still in the closet. There in the pocket of the shorts was the implant. Chance was surprised to learn where it had been. I was the hero though when Chance told his dad that "mommy had found it!"
(Chance's dad feels he needs to defend himself here with a note that the implant was in the pocket because he was bringing it in from the van, where Chance's Mom had left if, at 12:30 a.m. and was really tired. So, the moral of the story is, one should not mess with expensive high tech devices when one is really tired.)

1 comment:

Luis Camara Manoel said...

I'm sure enjoying reading about Chance's new experiences. Thank you so much for sharing them!