Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The love of a brother

Chance just loves having his new ipod to listen too. He has been going around the house singing songs he is learning. While Chance is getting many of the words to songs, he also misses words or does not hear them quite right. Sometimes, he will ask me, "What word comes after way?" etc.

Well, one morning this week, Chance's brother asked if he could type out song lyrics for his typing assignment. The kids are all learning how to type and they love the games they can play so I was a little confused as to why he didn't want to do the typing program and told him to wait until after breakfast.

Then with an urgent whisper, he said,"I am typing out all of the words to the songs on Chance's ipod for him as a surprise so that he will know all the words to the songs! Chance is still asleep and I want to work on it before he gets up." Then I realized that he had Chance's ipod complete with ear buds dangling from his neck.

Ahhhh! Of course I let him type out some songs! What a thoughtful gift. I am sure that Chance will greatly appreciate such a gesture. Knowing Chance, he will hold the lyrics to the songs in front of him and read them while he listens to the songs so that he learns the words.

"Do you think I should type up all the ohhhs, ahhhhs and echos that are in the songs so that Chance knows those too?" Chance's brother asked me later in the day.

After thinking a moment, I told him that would be a good idea since that would help Chance know exactly what was being said in the songs. He'd be hearing those background sounds, and wonder about them I reasoned.

So, in parentheses, Chance's brother is putting in background vocals so Chance can tell the difference.

What a thoughtful brother. This kind of spontaneous gesture of thoughtfulness between my kids warms my heart. Chance's brother really has been a blessing to him. He watched out for Chance when he was first diagnosed, has helped him through his journey of hearing loss, and now, he continues to think of Chance.

Chance is going to love this!!!

2 comments:

Ammie said...

I have always noticed what an amazing brother Jaden has been to Chance. It warms my heart! Cute brothers!

Ann said...

You're suggestion to include all the oohs and ahhs was spot on. When I have the lyrics that are provided often they aren't there and it will confuse you. On the other hand, I had a sister that would type up words for me, and a next door neighbor that would do that for me when I was growing up. When they included those, it helped me tremendously to follow along and not get cofused.