Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

A call from school

Today I got a call from Chance's school. I know that because that is the name and number that came up on my caller I.D. As for the caller, well they were pretty much silent though I could feel the presence of someone on the line.

After my saying,"Hello? Hello?" , about 6 times, the call abruptly ended.

That is when I knew that the caller must be Chance, he just didn't hear me so he hung up.

Chance never calls me from school so I figured that I better call back. The number on my caller I.D. sent me to the front office where they did not know that Chance had called. At least he wasn't hurt. He would have called from the office if he was hurt.

When I explained that I had just received a call from the school, the secretary asked me whose class Chance was in and put me on hold.

A few minutes later she informed me that Chance was on his way to the office to talk to me.

When Chance got on the line, he told me that his left implant was not working. He had just put in new batteries but it still was not working. He was trying hard to be brave. but I could hear the tears he was trying to hold back. Chance hates to cry in front of people.
After agreeing that I would meet him at his class where they were having a pizza party, we hung up relief apparent in Chance's voice. It was apparent during our conversation that Chance did not hear perfectly on the school phone. I had to repeat several things.

I called Chance's dad at work since he had mentioned that one of the cords on the implant was going bad he thought. I wanted to see if it was the left one.

Chance's dad had the new coil with him in the car and it was lunchtime so he drove the coil up to the school.

It turns out the batteries that Chance used were bad. And he didn't have any more in his backpack. The little twerp had not refilled his supply or told us his backpack was bare. I check the back pack every once in a while to ensure that there is a supply of batteries but Chance will have to learn to remember to stock his back pack for school on a regular basis. We later realized that Chance had the batteries in the same pocket where there was crumbs and little pieces of paper that got into the battery pack and apparently disabled them.

There is an emergency supply of batteries in his classroom with the School for the Deaf teacher but when Chance's dad went to check, the classroom door was closed and he didn't want to disturb class.

Luckily, there is a preschool teacher out in the portable trailer who wears an implant so we borrowed some batteries from her. (She was also in class, but her aide, who was in the hall, said it was a good time to interrupt.) Thank you!!!!!

Whew! We now know that implant batteries and debris do not mix.

Chance was able to return to his bilateral hearing state and the pizza party resumed.

1 comment:

Ammie said...

poor little guy!