Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Who ARE you?

Chance got his first taste of automated phone calls today. Chance had no idea what to make of it either.

The phone rang and Chance answered it. Then I heard Chance's muffled voice as I was in the laundry room so I could not make out all that was said. Suddenly I heard," Who ARE you?"
Not exactly phone etiquette so I started calling Chance as I walked toward him.

"Chance, who is it?" I asked.

I found Chance standing in the kitchen, a perplexed look on his face. The phone was still at his ear and he asked "Hello? Hello?"

I asked for the phone and Chance handed it to me in exasperation. "They will not answer!"

It turns out it was an automated survey. A computer had asked a question and then paused for an answer.

Actually, it would be kind of nice not to know what those annoying phone calls are about. But, alas, we have to teach Chance that these phone calls are part of life that we all deal with.

When I explained to Chance that sometimes people have computers call the house to leave a message or ask questions, his eyes got huge. I explained that the computer could not talk back, as it was not a real person, Chance's eyes kind of glazed over. I am sure that he'll have more experience with these kinds of calls in the future. None of us get to escape them:)

No comments: