Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chance gets a lesson in abbreviations

While just Chance and I were driving in the car the other day, we were discussing sports as we were on our way to basketball practice. Since we have a healthy little rivalry going on between two universities in the area, and Chance has been influenced by the fact that his dad attended one of the colleges, Chance told me:
"I don't like that UU team."
"The U of U?" I asked back.
"The what?" Chance said confused.

This led to a discussion of how sometimes the names of places are shortened or abbreviated. I explained that the U of U actually stood for the University of Utah which was also called the U of U or "The U". Then I told him that the team he rooted for was known as BYU, Brigham Young University or "The Y".
I heard an audible gasp from the backseat. Chance was taking this information all in.

I can see how this could seem amazing to someone just realizing such things. After all, now many names does one place need?

Abbreviations are something that Chance will come in contact with many many times through out his life. Chance is still learning that many times, there are different names that things can be called by. I think that he was working so hard for a long time to attach a name to all of the basic things around him, that that was enough to concentrate on.

Now, Chance's world is opening up to include the many names that one item can have. There are shirts as a general thing, but there are many breakoffs i.e. turtlenecks, short-sleeve shirts, sweaters, vests, flannel shirts, dress shirts, t-shirts etc.

It is fun to see how amazed Chance is as the lights in his brain go on to new concepts and words. What a blessing he is to us.

No comments: