Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chance wants to play football

Chance announced at dinner tonight that he wants to play football. Football? I am all for Chance playing sports and I fully expect that he'll have injuries along the way, but football seems to be a sport with an injury waiting to happen simply by its nature.

I remember watching a newscast of sports wrap-ups for the week with my husband some time ago. At the end, they listed all of the football players who had been injured so far.

"I didn't think that football season has started yet." I remarked.

"It hasn't. My husband replied. These are the players who have been hurt during spring training.

This is not the kind of stress a mother wants to deal with.

I would never let my bias against bone crushing tackles and life shattering head wounds stop Chance from playing football if he really wanted to. I just think that now might be a bit young. Besides, what happens to an implant when ones helmet is smashed up against ones head as 3 players tackle you to the ground? Any way my imagination portrays the possibilities seem painful and unpleasant.

Chance might be slightly embarrassed too should his mother run onto the field yelling, "Hey you guys stop that! You are smushing his implants into his head!"

Chance's brother is actually going to play flag football this fall so I am sure that Chance's desire to play will only increase.

Oh well. Maybe we'll let him play flag football next year if he promises not to develop a love for the sport that leads to 300 pound men smashing his implant against his helmet when he is older.

No comments: