Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Chance tells us about people who cannot hear..

Chance announced to us the other day that there are people who can not hear. He approached me while I was in the kitchen and said his voice full of awe: "Some people can not hear!" Then he went on to explain to me that some people can not hear doorbells when they ring. I told him that he was right, some people can not hear. I was amused that Chance did not include himself in that group. Then again, why should he? Chance can hear.

Chance went on to tell me that one of his friends at school could not hear but that he could talk to her with his hands. Chance does not know a lot of sign language, but he does know some. One of his friends at school has been using sign for most of the school year. Chance has added to his sign language skills by signing with her. Who knows, maybe Chance will learn more sign language later.

While Chance seems amazed that some people cannot hear, he truly seems to recognize the value of his implants in helping him to hear. If the batteries need to be changed, Chance tells us all to wait so he can hear. The other night just as we were about to say a prayer over the food, Chance said, "STOP! My battery is dead." Then he ran over to the drawer and proceeded to change the batteries in his implant. He kept looking at all of us around the table to make sure that we were waiting for him. I am delighted that he cares so much about hearing what is going on and being a part of things.

No comments: