Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

Chance realizes there is no free lunch..

At about 11:45 today, I realized that Chance may not know that he has money in an account at school for lunch. We have never used the account to pay for lunch before, Chance usally brings a lunch from home. As it happens though, Chance had change coming when he bought lunch several weeks ago, so I thought he could use it today. I forgot to tell him though. I told him on another day, but I did not remind him.

When I called the school, one of the teachers said that she would send someone to tell Chance that his lunch was paid for.

When Chance got home from school today, I asked him what he had for lunch. He tried to be strong and his eyes moistened. "I did not eat lunch today at school." He stated.

"Why?" I asked wondering what had happened.

Chance's voice rose a little. "Because daddy did not give me any money! And there was not a lunch in my backpack!"

Well, at least he didn't think that I was the one that slacked off.:)

"Chance, there was money in the computer at school! Didn't someone tell you?"

"Ya, but when I got to the lunchroom, the lunch was all put away."

Since Chance is in a unique program where he goes to a regular kindergarten class in the morning, and then stays in the afternoon for more school, he and his classmates don't get to lunch until it is winding down. Earlier in the year, I had gone on a field trip with Chance's class and we got back to the school a little late. Of course, that was another day when Chance had taken money to buy lunch. I ended up running (literally) to the lunchroom with Chance and the lunch ladies pulled some food from the back out for Chance.

I assured myself that surely someone had shared their lunch with Chance. He comes home with food wrappers of all kinds that we did not send in his lunch. All the kids share their snacks and barter for goods.

"Did someone share their lunch with you?" I asked.

Chance shook his head slowly and his eyes were moist again.

Apparently if you don't bring a lunch to share, you don't get anything either.

"Did it make you sad that you did not get any lunch?" I asked.

"No."Chance said trying to smile as he fought not to cry.

I hugged Chance and told him that I was sorry we didn't tell him about the money in the computer. I actually had wondered if Chance would be hesitant about approaching the lunch lady who sat by the computer since the lunchroom is so very loud. I don't think that Chance asked anyone for help. I am sure as it is hard for him to hear at lunch.

I asked Chance what he did since he did not eat. He told me that he went out to recess.

Well, we learned that we need to make sure to tell Chance when money is in his account. And, be sensitive that the loud environment in the lunchroom is difficult for Chance to hear in so he is less likely to ask for help.

No comments: