Pages

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ahhhhh...the old days.

Tonight, I told Chance that he could not have a bedtime snack if he did not eat his dinner. He asked me "What?" once. I told him several times just to make sure that we were clear as he was not doing a real effective job of eating his dinner.

After dinner, Chance sat down to read his book from school. I told him to wait as I was changing a diaper. Chance kept reading. I told him to stop again. Chance kept going. I patted Chance's leg."Wait!" I said. Chance looked wounded and started to cry.

"He doesn't have his implants on." His brother informed me. Sure enough, Chance did not have either implant on.

"Where are your implants?" I asked Chance while I did the motion that we use to tell Chance to put his implants on when he can not hear because they are not on.

"I do not know!" He said through his tears.

Chance had showered right before dinner as he was covered in mud. The newest activity in the neighborhood now is to make a mud city over in the sand. The neighborhood kids have been working on this thing for several days now. By the time it is time for dinner, the kids are caked in mud. When Chance came into the house before dinner, I had sent him to the shower. When I checked on him, he had placed his implants on the counter. I slid them into the drawer so that they would be better protected against being knocked off the counter or pulled into the sink etc. Apparently Chance did not know where the implants were and did not ask. I had forgotten about them in the rush of dinner and getting the kids to read.

Who knows all that Chance missed while the implants were not on. It was probably at least an hour and a half that he walked around not hearing anything.

So, it was just like the old days, when we would talk to Chance and he would not hear us:) Poor kid. He was probably nervous to say that he lost the implants. As far as he was concerned, he had taken them off, set them on the counter and now they were gone. As soon as I told him where the implants were he went and put them right on.

I am just so used to him having implants now that it did not occur to me that Chance might be with out them. Chance just sat there on the chair reading away while I asked him to wait. He did not even look up.

This is what our lives were like for about 2 years before we realized that Chance had gone deaf. We talked to him, thinking he heard us and he sometimes faked it really well or seemed to be ignoring us.

I like the new way better where Chance hears us:)

No comments: