Pages

Sunday, January 07, 2007

So many words to learn....

I have realized that there are so many words that Chance missed before he got the implants because he simply was not hearing what he needed to. The challenge then, is to figure out how to now get some of those missed words into his little brain.

While reading stories the other night, I realized that there were about 3 words that Chance did not know the meaning of in the story. I explained what the words were of course, but a one time explanation of a word, especially while Chance is learning so many new things will not be enough. From what we have been told and read about acquiring language, in order for a word to become a permanent part of our vocabulary, we have to hear it about 500 times. More so if you are deaf. For babies that start hearing right from the beginning and continue to hear until learning to talk, hearing common words 500 times just kind of happens.

For Chance, we have some work to do. This can be a bit overwhelming to consider that we now need to give Chance vocabulary on words that we don't know that he didn’t get in the process of growing up. But I realize that instead of focusing on the big picture of all the unknown words he needs, I need to just focus on helping him each day. There are plenty of opportunities each day to give Chance vocabulary. Of course, once a word is introduced we have to use it numerous times to help it stick. So I've decided to keep a list of the words we introduce, and then find opportunities to use those words. When I was reading Chance stories the other night, one of the words he did not know the meaning of was sniff. So I told him what it meant, and he really seemed to understand. However, when we encouraged Chance to sniff something at dinner, he looked at us and said "What?!" So we explained again what it meant to sniff something.

I have read of accounts of deaf adults who talk about their childhood and how their parents spent several hours each day helping them acquire language. I used to feel guilt about the fact that I do not spend hours each day working with Chance. I have always felt though, that Chance must be allowed to be a little boy and not just deaf. Finally, this week, it occurred to me that people who are deaf adults now did not have access to the technology that deaf kids do today. Kids who are deaf today can hear so much more with the technology available. I will just focus on doing a little bit with Chance each day, while I continue to study, consult and feel out what he needs. I have some ideas for games that we can play etc. that will help Chance with language, and yet be fun for all of us to play together. I want Chance to get what he needs while still getting the most out of being a care free child.

I had a tender moment with Chance tonight. With all of my children I have sung songs to them as they drifted off to sleep and snuggled. That never went over as well with Chance as it did with the other kids and I didn't know why. Just like I never understood why Chance's brother liked to read stories with me so much, but Chance was antsy and had a really short attention span. Finding out Chance was deaf explained a lot of that. One of my first thougts after I found out that Chance was deaf was that he had not heard the songs that I sang to the kids. And I wondered if he would ever be able to share in hearing the songs.

Tonight, as I sat snuggling Chance, I started to sing some of those songs that I have sung to all of my kids. Chance sat up and his whole face brightened. He would listen and then try to sing along. It was obvious that he really enjoyed the moment. His smile said it all. I think that Chance and I will be spending more time singing and snuggling together.

No comments: