Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Chance hates shots

I was reminded again yesterday how much Chance does not like shots.  While he was cleaning the backyard, a piece of glass was hidden in the dirt.  The wound itself was not that serious, but the situation made me realize that we needed to look up the date of Chance's last Tetanus shot.

Chance did not like the idea that he may need to get a shot. Chance. Does. Not. Like. Shots.  As Chance pulled out his shot record from his file, I could see him slowly reading down the page trying to read when his last tetanus shot was done.

I explained to him what tetanus does and he agreed that he did not want experience that.  His older brother helped him clean up the wound and bandage it up.

This incident made me think back to the time Chance got his shots to enter kindergarten.  He had been playing cowboys with his brother during one of those long summer days kids have and I remembered at the last minute that we had to get him to his doctors appointment.  So Chance got loaded into the car in all of his cowboy gear.  Even his cap gun.

Later, after trying to tell the nurses that he did not want a shot, he pulled out his cap gun while sitting up on the exam table,  with tears in his eyes.  He was serious about not wanting a shot and he could see they were prepping to give him at least one.

At that point, Chance still could not communicate all that he wanted to, and his attempts to tell the nurses that he didn't want a shot were not understood.  Although, I am sure the fact that he watched the nurses like a hawk, and his eyes flitted from  his leg to them was indicative that he knew something was coming.  Plus the fact that when he pulled that cap gun, he was seriously scared.

Chance did not need a tetanus shot this weekend.  I don't know if I can adequately explain in words the sigh he gave and the look of relief that spread across his face when I told him his shot was current.

No comments: