Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Piano lessons...the eternal argument between parent and child

(This post actually took place during the first part of the month of May).

Since the dawn of creation I imagine kids have been arguing with their parents about why they have to take piano lessons.

There are kids who actually like piano and motivate themselves to attend lessons of their own free will.  I have one of those  kids which helps to offset the one who doesn't always like to go.

Notice the girl playing too....junior high is a coed team.
While not revealing his identity, I will just say that my child who balked at going to piano today used the argument of "Well, maybe I shouldn't have implants then!"

That is right.  I am willing to bet that I am one of the only parents who have gotten that particular argument against going to piano.

This is how it went down:

I told Chance that since he didn't have a soccer game today that he needed to go to piano lessons. Since soccer season has started, Chance has taken a brief hiatus from piano since he now has a game every Tuesday during his regular piano lesson time.

Chance was taken aback by this request as he was thinking he did not have piano this week.  I told him that he could get a new song to practice  and then he could resume lessons at the end of May when school soccer was over.

Chance apparently had other ideas of how his afternoon would go.

"I don't have to go. I'm old enough to decide."  He informed me

I then explained to him that piano lessons actually helped him learn to hear and understand music better with his implants.

"Well, I don't have to go just because I have implants!" Chance informed me.

When I explained again that yes, he really did need to go to piano and it would help him with music and his implants, he let loose the big guns.

"Well, maybe I shouldn't even have implants then!"

I had to control myself so that I did not snicker.

"Alright, I'll just take the implants and you can go with out them."  I said mischievously.

Chance instinctively put his hands up to his implants,"NO!"

Chance went to piano.  With his implants.

The argument did stretch my parenting skills dealing with excuses kids use when they don't want to do something.

I'll have numerous other opportunities to learn about excuses as my other kids won't be able to use this particular one and will come up with their own excuses as to why they can't go to piano.



No comments: