Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

I hit Chance with the van

I hit Chance with our van.  A moment of panic that obviously came as quite a surprise. Frankly if it was going to happen, I thought it would have been when he was younger and wasn't hearing.

I worried about Chance being hit by a car when he was little because he could not hear cars.  It didn't occur to me this late in the game that I would hit him because he mistook the sound of the van starting and backing up to be the central vacuum cleaner turning on..  The vacuum empties into a canister in the garage and it does make a bit of noise.

Chance came around the driveway, behind his dad's car, and bent over to pick up the newspaper just as I was backing out of the garage to drive the boys to school.  I thought Chance was still in the house, and apparently, Chance thought I was still in the house too which is why we bumped into each other.

It was quite a scare for me to see Chance's head suddenly poke up in my back window.  My heart skipped a beat, I sucked in air, slammed on the brakes and  started a prayer of gratitude that it was a miss.

The look on Chance's was a mix of surprise and unfathomability.

Later, Chance told me,"The van actually touched me! Just barely."

All of that time that Chance could not hear and now is the time that he is hit by a car albeit ever so gently thank goodness.

Chance said that he heard a noise in the garage, but thought it was the central vacuum starting up.  This is why  he wasn't concerned about the possibility of the van rolling down the driveway while he bent over to retrieve the newspaper.

Thankfully, we are all safe, and thanking our Heavenly Father that Chance was protected from what could have been a tragic situation.

1 comment:

ammie said...

Thank Heavens is right! I'm glad everyone is okay. Now, that is a worry about him not hearing the car. Hopefully, he now will tell the difference between the van and central vacuum.