Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Chancc's reading scores are back

We just got Chance's reading scores back from parent teachers conference. Chance's charter school is run more like a junior high school in the fact that the kids don't have just one teacher but instead rotate throughout the day to several teachers. There is a writing room, a math room, a science room and so on and so forth. There is one "homeroom" teacher who receives all of the test scores and who is our contact point should we need information. The reading test covered reading and comprehension. Chance scored WELL above average in both categories for 5th grade, the grade he just transferred into.

Chance's writing teacher said that Chance is in the highest writing group as well and is self motivated and on task. Then she told me what a special soul Chance was and how privileged she feels to be around him and teach him. Then she said, "surely you know this." I actually do know what an incredible soul Chance has. I am delighted to know that his teacher sees it as well. I help out in Chance's writing class each week and I get to see how Chance is self motivated and focused. He really desires to do well and applies himself as best he can.

Oh, my little deaf son is scoring above average in reading!!!!! Deaf children traditionally have been known to be behind in reading. I think that is changing, but Chance went without language for 2 years and he was not all that excited about reading when he started.

Now, he comes to me with all sorts of interesting facts he has learned about in books.

We as parents were asked in our parent teachers conference to list Chance's academic strengths. We listed reading and math and writing. I think we chose well:)

Most people around Chance will just see how well he is doing in school and take that for granted. Few people will know how incredible the journey Chance has experienced has been. How Chance himself overcame such odds to get where he is. He went without language for 2 years and through determination and sheer grit, Chance overcame this monumental obstacle and forged ahead overcoming the incredible barrier that going without language for 2years during your formative years is.

Chance does have an incredible soul and I stand in awe of him and his amazing strength and perseverance. Chance is not held back by his deafness and he is willing to work his heart out to succeed in all that he does. An incredible soul indeed. A soul I am honored to call my son.

7 comments:

The Brights said...

Inspiration!!

At what age did Chance start reading??

Tayten just turned five and I don't see him reading anytime soon...

Ammie said...

He does have an amazing soul. Anyone who knows him would think so. I'm so proud of him and all he's accomplished! What a great kid!

Chance's Mom said...

Chance started reading at about age 5 and 6, but he wasn't excited about it at first. He went into a program called "reading recovery" through the school. I attended the class with him once a week. He was given books to read each week and advanced through several levels as he mastered them.
I worked at home with him picking out books that I thought he would be interested in and thus more likely to read. Sometimes we took turns reading pages so Chance did not feel overwhelmed.
He would get frustrated really easily for a while when he did not know a word. I figured out that part of that was because of lapses in his vocabulary. He was sounding out words that he didn't know the meaning of.
Eventually though, it all clicked and Chance started reading because he liked it.

Sarah and Desmond said...

That is just wonderful news Taunya!
Great job Chance, what an amazing journey they are on, and I am so happy to be able to accompany Savanah on with hers.

Do you know, did Orem Elementary have a reading recovery program?

Sarah and Desmond said...

That is just wonderful news Taunya!
Great job Chance, what an amazing journey they are on, and I am so happy to be able to accompany Savanah on with hers.

Do you know, did Orem Elementary have a reading recovery program?

Ann said...

Chance is truly extraordinary. I was thinking of all that was against him, and yet within 4 years of his implantation; what with the miracle those are, coupled with his extraordinary drive and determination, compounded with extraordinary parents are causing him to scale mountains and truly reach the unbelievable heights! It brings me to tears of joys. Today's deaf children and families have a far different outcome and potential than the era I was born in.

Chance's Mom said...

Ann you inspire me. You have been a great example to us of what potential these little deaf kids have. We see you as an adult and know that Chance can do it!