Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Keeping us all on the same page

Every once in a while, we have a situation where Chance's implants are not on but I don't realize this, so I go on talking to the kids assuming that everyone knows what the plan is.

This morning, Chance's brother was in the shower and Chance kept tossing a mini basketball over the shower curtain and then he would giggle as his brother threw it back. We were in a hurry to get somewhere, and when I realized what they were doing, I told them to stop playing and finish getting ready.

The boys didn't stop immediately but instead Chance tossed the ball back and forth a few more times, because when I checked again, the ball toss was still going on. In a stern mommy voice, I reiterated that we were in a hurry and the ball tossing must stop. Undaunted, Chance continued.

By now I was not a happy mommy. "The ball is now mine." I announced.

 "It's Chance!" His brother said emphatically from behind the shower curtain.

When I reached to take the ball, Chance looked at me and summed up that I was not happy. With his head down, and a look of confusion on his face, he quickly left the bathroom. It was as he was leaving that I realized that he had never put his implants on after getting out of the shower.

Poor kid. He had no idea of the build up that had come before I took the ball. He just kind of slinked away not knowing why I was upset. I always feel bad when that happens. Chance is a pretty obedient kid. It helps if he hears what I say though:)

I always feel bad when a situation like this happens. I don't like to think of Chance trying to figure out what went wrong after the fact because he did not hear anything that was going on.

I try to ensure that Chance has his implants on when I talk to him in the morning or after he gets out of the shower. Him not hearing me is bound to happen sometimes when he can take his ears off I guess. But I am glad it doesn't happen too often.

No comments: