Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Are those crickets?

This morning, well after the day had begun and the house was full of the family bustling around, Chance came to me and asked,

"Are those crickets?"

I knew immediately what he was talking about since when I had passed the opened window in the living room, I had the passing thought that it was late in the morning to be hearing crickets.

I told Chance that it was a cricket and then we both went over to the window to listen. An exuberant cricket apparently had its days and nights mixed up and was just singing away.

As I sat and listened to the cricket with Chance, I marveled that I could stand at the window and listen to a cricket chirp with my deaf son. I never thought that would be a possibility when he was first diagnosed as being deaf.

I also said a prayer of thanks that Chance could hear that cricket. It was mid morning and the normal sounds of the day were present, yet, Chance had been able to pick up on the sound of a cricket chirping as he passed the window..........what a blessed wonder.

3 comments:

The Brights said...

Are you a part of deafvillage.com? I bet all the "new to CI" moms would love to read about Chance and all of his accomplishments!

I think your blog is very inspiring.

Ann said...

That is indeed a blessed wonder! How lucky we are to live in a day where this kind of technology can have such a profound effect on our lives!

Michelle S. said...

I love this story. I think it is very important for us to take time to be thankful. This is truely a wonderful thing to count as a blessing! Yay for crickets!