Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

Nibble.

Chance has learned another new word...nibble. I got a plate to hang up in my kitchen and it says nibble on it. Nibble is just a fun word to use I think. Chance was intrigued when he read the plate and wanted to know what nibble meant.

This is one of those words that makes me realize how "wordy" the English language is. There are so many words to describe things. You could say, "I just want a bite. I just want a nibble. I just want a taste." There are lots of words for Chance to learn! I wonder sometimes if it seems weird or confusing for a child who is diagnosed as being deaf later like Chance was, when so many words and phrases can be used to say basically the same thing. Here you are, trying to put a name to all of the things around you, and just when you think you've got it figured out, someone uses another name or phrase to describe something that throws you off, so you are not sure what they are talking about.

Chance walked out of the kitchen repeating the word nibble like he was trying to lock it in to his brain.
He does that sometimes when he learns a new word.

No comments: