Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Crickets for sale!

We have critters at our house that require crickets to survive so we are regular visitors to our local pet store. Since the pet store is located in a strip mall, I can pull the car right up to the door. Due to the lengthy stay required when one takes 4 children into a pet store, sometimes, Chance and his older brother will just run in and buy crickets while the rest of us are in the car.

While on the way home the other night, as we pulled up to the pet store for a regular purchase of crickets, Chance informed me that he wanted to go in and buy the crickets. By himself, while I waited in the car. It was only Chance and I as we were returning from a cochlear implant appointment.

So I gave Chance the money, told him to buy 15 crickets and he bounded out of the car and into the pet store. He returned shortly proudly holding a bag full of wiggly crickets up for me to see.

Chance was proud to tell everyone at home that he had gone into the pet store and bought crickets all by himself.

I am glad that he wanted to take the initiative. It is good for Chance to interact with everyday people that are around him and be able to express himself and get what he needs. He was confident that he could just go in and do it and that is what we like to see.

1 comment:

Cyborg Queen said...

Very Cool. I've been reading up on Chance's journey, and I'm pretty impressed by this kid! I'm 29, and got my first CI a few weeks ago. I admire you for taking the initiative to keep up with practicing with him, learning sign language in case, and learning everything about CI stuff. Many parents think that once the CI is on their kid, they're hearing.
Kudos to you!
BTW - the sound I really want to hear is the sounds of Crickets. :-D