Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The gift of hearing

I just read an article about hearing loss that talked about how even a mild loss can cause people to withdraw from social situations and create feelings of isolation.

I can see how that would happen. Every once in a while, one of my ears will clog up to the point that I temporarily lose hearing in one ear. It happened again this week end and it about drove me crazy. When we were at church, my kids all just happened to be on the side that was clogged and I could not hear them when they whispered to me. I could not hear right when I led the children in music at church. It just threw me off kilter and I was desperate to make things right again.


I realize that my experience pales to Chance's being deaf, but it gives me enough of a taste that I realize just how important hearing is in interacting with people and going about your daily life.
For instance, someone said something to me, and I responded but I don't think I heard her correctly because she had a confused look on her face as she walked away. Hopefully, it was not anything that she took offense at.

Today I went to the doctor and I am a new woman. When the doctor first came in and started checking my ears, I could not hear him when he was looking in the clogged ear and talking to me. After my ears were cleared out, I realized that there was music playing in the doctors office that I had not been able to hear when I first arrived.


I only had to deal with this annoyance for a few days, but it gave me a whole new appreciation for Chance's implants and the aid they give him in hearing. Sure Chance does not hear everything, but he hears well enough to let him be a part of society around him. He can go to school with his peers, tell the man at the restaurant that he wants root beer and play with any other child in the neighborhood. He can do anything any other child his age can do. He can hear background conversations, and hear what other people around him have to say. He can be a part of things going on around him. We are so profoundly grateful for the implants and the possibilities that they open up for Chance in his life.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

You described one of my favorite quotes

"The deaf can do anything that the hearing can do, except hear."