Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Chance "hears" how his name should be spelled and reacts.

Chance was signing his name on a paper the other day and when he was done, I was a bit surprised. Chance knows how to spell his name of course, but his paper reflected something other than the spelling I was used to.

Across the paper, Chance had written, "Chans." At first, I was confused. Had Chance mistakingly put an 's' in his name? That seemed strange since this had never happened before.

"Chance, why did you put an 's' in your name?" I asked.

Chance matter-of-factly sounded out his name for me and informed me that it made an "s" sound at the end, so there should be an s. And since he had put an s at the end, there did not need to be an e either.

This is good since Chance could not hear s's just a year ago so it is apparent, his hearing has improved in this area. It is interesting that he has transferred this new hearing ability to his name. I don't know if this is a phase, or if Chance has decided permanently that his name should have an 's' in it since that is the way it sounds.

School is about to start so we'll have to see how he decides to spell his name on his papers :)

No comments: