Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Chance can now tell our secrets..

When I was 18, I taught the 3 and 4 year olds at church. They would tell me about their new bed, their grandma's house, their haircut and how their brother had hit them while they were playing together. They would also give a report on what had happened in their lives that Sunday morning. I heard things like,"Ya, my dad was mad at my mom because she was late." Or "My brother got grounded for saying a swear word while we were eating breakfast." Oh the innocence of children and their ability to tell it like it is:)

Well, now Chance can report things that we do to other people. That certainly was not a problem before. This week Chance and I were sitting with his auditory-verbal therapist when she started asking him questions about various things around that Chance would see.

'What do we do at a stoplight?" She asked Chance.

It took Chance a minute to register what a stoplight was, but then he was on a role.

"We go when the light is green." Chance answered.

"Good. What other colors do stoplights have?"

"Red. That means we stop." Chance responded.

"Good. Are their any other colors on a stoplight?" The therapist asked.

"Yellow." Chance said. "That means......" At this point Chance slowly turned and looked at me. His facial expressions showed an internal struggle was at hand. Chance then turned to the therapist and said,

"Yellow means stop, but my mom just kept going." Chance said speaking slowly for emphasis.

The room was silent except for the therapist who was trying not to laugh too hard. She let Chance know that she had done that before too. (I would just like to say that the light turned yellow AFTER I had started into the intersection.)

Now Chance can tell stories about his parents just like any other child does. And apparently, he is paying attention to details :)

No comments: