Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I got a call from Chance today!

I was sitting in my living room today when I got a phone call. This is not unusual in and of itself, but I was surprised by who the caller was. After I said "hello", I heard the following:

"Hi, this is Chance Paxton, I am in Cade's house. Is that ok?"
"That is ok" I said.
A joyful "yes!" can be heard as if Chance is talking to someone else where he is.
"I am playing with Josh and Cade."
"Ok", thank you for calling Chance."
A pause.
"I am in Cade's house."
"Ok."
"I can play?"
"Yes, you can play."
"I love you. Bye."

It was a lovely phone call. Chance did not get what I was saying all the time, but I don't think he moved his implant to the right setting either. He forgets to do that often. BUT HE HEARD MOST OF WHAT I SAID!

And like any 6 year old should do, he called to tell me when he went inside someone’s house to play. I have told Chance he should call me, but since we live in a cul-de-sac, and the kids are frequently running from one house to another, Chance has not been calling. Plus, depending on the phone, sometimes Chance can hear better than other times. I usually end up calling around the cul-de-sac if I look outside and I can not see Chance.

Chance did call me a few months ago when he went into someone’s house, but we had practiced before he left. The child lived outside of the cul-de-sac and I wanted Chance to get the idea that I needed to know when he got there. So he called and said exactly what I had told him to say, but I don't think he heard anything that I said. He ended up hanging the phone up after a long pause, where I talked but Chance sat silent. Finally after a long pause, he just said goodbye with hesitation in his voice and hung up.

I made a big deal of the fact that Chance called me today and he just beamed. Hopefully, this will now be part of our routine just like it is with his older brother. I was impressed that Chance thought to call and that he heard most of what I said. Most of his friends have to call from our house when they come inside, so this is just another way that Chance is blending in with his peers and doing the same things that they do.

No comments: