Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Chance makes more friends at school

I help out in Chance's class each week and so I get to see how Chance interacts with the other kids. The past few weeks, Chance has introduced me to a few new friends. One of the boys was sitting with Chance at lunch. I did not recognize this boy from his class so Chance has met him just around school. I could not stay for lunch, but I wondered how Chance conversed with this friend in the lunch room where it is so loud all of the time. I have to focus to hear what is going on. Maybe they communicate more on the playground.

In another instance, when we were in the computer lab, a boy from Chance's class sat down next to Chance and said "Hi Chance." Another girl in the class told me as we walked down the hall that "Chance is really nice."

And on yet another day, when Chance was supposed to bring a bag of something to share (Chance has two separate classes and I sent a bag to the other class not realizing that I was supposed to send a bag to both), the teacher asked if anyone would be willing to share their bag with Chance and let him help pour the goodies into the bowl. One of the boys immediately raised his hand and came forward to share. Chance also tells us about his friends that he has met at school.

I have been watching to see how well Chance seems to be assimilating in a mainstream classroom with hearing kids. The last thing that we wanted was for Chance to be in the class but not part of the class. After observing Chance in class and at recess and in the computer lab, I have seen that Chance feels a part of things and is included in the class and by the other kids.
Chance does not always catch onto everything that is said, but he is getting more and more all of the time. Chance sits right up front on the rug for circle time and his teacher wears a microphone. Plus, Chance is a quick study and observes those around him to see what he is missing. If I felt that most of his life was spent just trying to catch up to the other kids, it would not be worth it. But Chance has friends and tells me that he likes school and both of his classes. I talk with him often to see how he feels about school and his classes. One of his classes is with deaf kids where he gets more specialized language focus (along with first grade skills), and the other class is a regular kindergarten class. Chance is excited about both classes and regularly comes home and tells us about the happenings at school.

However, like most kids, he tells us that his favorite time of year is summer because then he can play all day with his friends. :)

No comments: