Pages

Friday, November 03, 2006

To skate or date.....

I told Chance that his dad and I were going on a date tonight. He started gliding across the floor as if he were skating. "Skate?" He asked. "No, date." I said emphasizing the word date. "Skate?" Chance asked again. I could see in his eyes that he thought going skating was a great idea and he was ready and willing to go.

I said date again, and then Chance asked me what date means. I told him that it was when mom and dad went out together without any kids. I thought that was the end of it, until we picked up Chance at grandma and grandpa’s house after our date. Chance was sitting at the table and asked me "You went skating?" Again I told him it was called a date. Then Chance's dad and I emphasized the two words....."date and skate." Chance's dad asked Chance if the words sounded the same or different. Chance said that they sounded the same, so I got out a piece of paper and wrote down the two words. We showed Chance that one word started with "s" and one word started with "d". Then Chance got it. He chased me down the hall and asked me, "What is a date?" I told him again that it was when mom and dad went out together without any kids. Then Chance asked me what you do on a date. I told him that sometimes you went out to a movie, or out to eat or to the store..... Then Chance asked me where we went on our date. I told him that we had gone out to eat. Then Chance smiled and said "When I am a daddy, I can go on a date." I told him that was right and Chance skipped back down the hall satisfied.

No comments: