Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2006

"I know!"

Chance has started to get really frustrated at us sometimes if we tell him something a second time. He'll say in a very agitated voice, "I know!" Um....sometimes he doesn't know though:) He is catching on to more things than ever, and frankly, we are used to having to repeat things to him. So, we appreciate that Chance is annoyed when he has heard us and we repeat things. He probably notices that we don't do that nearly as much with his brother and sister. Chance does know a lot more often what is being said. But sometimes he has missed the mark. The biggest things he has a hard time with is words that have open and closed syllables but otherwise sound alike. Or words that sound alike except for the ending sound.

For instance, we were going to Chance's cousins birthday celebration a few weeks ago, and as I was calling the kids to the car, Chance asked me who the present was for. I told him it was for Kate. Chance wanted to hold the gift, so he took it from me and then started walking down the driveway. I called him back and told him that we needed to hurry to Kate's house. Chance to told me that he heard me, then, started down the driveway again. I called him back again, and Chance told me that he WAS going to Cade's house! Cade is a little boy that lives in our neighborhood. Chance got it after I clarified that it was not CADE'S birthday, but his cousin KATE'S birthday. I had to emphasize that it was his COUSIN Kate though for him to be able to distinguish the difference in names.

Chance is learning to tell the difference between the sounds, but it is amazing how many words sound alike. The differences are just subtle. It is kind of a miracle that any of us can hear as well as we do. Our hearing really is an amazing gift that is easy to forget. It just happens with out us really thinking about it. The process that Chance is undergoing to learn to hear is phenomenal. I learn so much just by observing him.

No comments: