Pages

Monday, October 01, 2018

Chance Gets His Wisdom Teeth Out

Chance had an exciting weekend. To give an idea about just how much fun he had, it may help to know that he got his wisdom teeth taken out late Thursday afternoon.

Chance waiting for his mouth to go numb after the shots

Chance on the car ride home holding ice packs to his face.


Chance has a naturally skinny face that now has considerable more padding down around the jawline.

Fun times on the coach with ice packs to help the swelling

Chance, his cowboy hat, and some face swelling


The procedure went well, though Chance really does not like shots or needles. He was conscious during the entire procedure but had medication to help calm him and numb him up. He was wearing headphones so that he could watch a movie above his head and the deaf, medicated, headphone combination made Chance talk VERY loud.  I had to try not to giggle each time he talked to me since he was so loud. He mostly said, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
He couldn't hear my answers since he had massive headphones over his ears and implants so we kept talking to a minimum as we waited for his mouth to get numb before the procedure.

As we walked through the parking lot to the van, Chance said, "Mom, I am going to do something and I need you to catch me if it doesn't work."

Before I even had time to respond in any way, Chance did a little jump/kick, like the one people do while country dancing.
Cowboy dancing including the little jump/kick dance move that Chance did in the parking lot. 


Thankfully, he had enough balance to land without falling over.  As we got into the car, Chance told me that he wanted to climb a tree and then started looking out the window to find a potential tree to climb.  I reminded him that he had just had surgery so climbing a tree was not a good idea.

Chance: "I've climbed trees since I was little."

Me: "Yes, but all of the trees around here are baby trees. You've grown into a big boy and these trees are too small for you to climb.

Chance: "I've climbed baby trees before!"

Me:" Okay, but you just had surgery so we're not going to climb trees today."

Chance" "Dang it!"

Chance was a hoot to listen to on the way home. As we approached an intersection where the light had just turned red, Chance asked me, "Why didn't you go through the light? You could have made it."

Me: "The light was red by the time we got here, I couldn't have gone through the light."

Chance: "I would have gone through the light. Maybe you should move over and let me drive."

Obviously Chance was in great condition to drive. (wink, wink).

I did the driving and Chance did the talking which made my drive home most amusing. Chance sang country songs when we stopped to buy him a smoothie since solid foods would be our for a while. He also couldn't figure out why I asked him if he was sure he wanted to go inside the store to get the smoothie. The fact that he was drooling didn't seem to be reason enough for him to miss going into the store.

Chance is now healing well. The medication has worn off so our conversations aren't quite as exciting, but he is perky and continues to ice his cheeks on a regular basis to help with the swelling.

Chance lived through his wisdom teeth being removed so now he can continue the tradition of passing down how this event affected his life to his children just as the rest of us have done.




No comments: