Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Implant activation

I have done this before, where I watch a child get their implant turned on.  It never ceases to loose its wonder at what a miracle these implants are.  I got teary eyed as I watched my boy get sound in that left ear.  He was so excited.

Yesterday when we got the final check up from the surgeon and were handed our briefcase full of implant goodies, it was like Christmas morning.  We actually stopped in the hallway of the hospital so we could open up the briefcase and look at all the good things inside.  My son looked like a kid on Christmas morning.  He would lift various boxes out and I would tell them what they were.  He wanted to take the implant out and wear it so he could get used to it before our appointment the next day.  I had him wait.  When I dropped him off at cub scouts after the doctor's visit, he wanted to show all of his fellow cubs his loot.  The cub scouts ooh'd and ahh'd as they were shown remote controls that can be used for the implant and the aqua+ accessories that would make it possible to hear underwater.  The cub scouts naturally did not understand what all of that meant, but the cub scout leaders asked about the aqua+ and were impressed that now my boys could hear under the water while they swim.  I told the boys that now the ear was bionic.  That was impressive to them.

We almost made the same hotel mistake we made with Chance a few years ago....that is we almost let our deaf child go into the ONE bathroom that we all share and lock the door.  Deaf kids can't hear anything in a bathroom with a locked door and no hearing devices on.  Therefore, they have control over the entire family who may need to use the facilities or get in to shower themselves.  You can't knock on the door and tell them to hurry or to get out.  They just get out when they are good and ready and can't hear any pleas for bathroom use.  Luckily, our hotel bathroom door had a glitch that wouldn't let it close all of the way.  It would close most of the way, but you could open it if you pushed on it.

I wonder what would happen if we knocked on the door of the people in the next door to us in the hotel and told them,"Our deaf child has taken over our bathroom and he can't hear us so can we use your facilities right quick?


(Come back tomorrow for pictures...)

No comments: