Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

A conversation between my two hearing impaired kids

Our family headed up into the mountains a few weeks ago to find and chop down our Christmas tree.

We took an ax, hot chocolate, some snacks, a sled, and warm clothes.  It turned out that the day was quite mild and a beautiful day to search out a Christmas tree.

As we set off on our journey, we were in the truck.  The truck is a bit of a tight fit for the family, but we figured that it might be the best way to haul a tree down the mountain. I heard a conversation transpiring between my two sons, one with hearing aids, and one with cochlear implants:

Chance had his legs spread out, taking up a bit more than his share of space in the backseat.  That made it so that his brother did not have enough room so he asked Chance to clap his legs together. As in clap them together so there was more room.

Chance thought he was talking about clapping the window shut, and said, "Would you rather have the window open now for 10 minutes or when we are up the canyon?"

Since the conversation wasn't making much sense to me, I thought I would make sure that my two hearing impaired children were actually understanding each other.

I asked Chance if he even knew what his brother was talking about.  Chance was sitting by an open window at the time,

Chance said, "He wants me to close the window."

I then told him that his brother had asked him to close his legs so that there was more space to sit in the backseat.

Chance laughed and said that he had no idea that was what his brother had said.

My roles are many.  Mother, wife, friend, student, Christmas tree finder and sometimes, an interpreter for my children with hearing loss.

No comments: