Pages

Thursday, January 09, 2014

Naked Beans

It was one of those days when all of the best layed plans went out the window.  The day was proceeding along nicely until breakfast, when Chance's little sister flipped the whisk that was in the hot Cream of Wheat that had just come out of the microwave.  Steaming Cream of Wheat splashed up onto her little hand causing first and second degree burns.  Her hand started to blister all over the burn and the blisters just kept growing.

Our doctor could not get us in for several hours so we went to an instaCare center where the waiting room was full of people waiting to be seen.  It was apparently a day for wounds and sickness for many people.
The doctor and nurse did a good job wrapping up the burn and gave us some cream to help it heal.

 By the time we were done at the doctor's and were at the pharmacy to get a prescription, the afternoon was almost over and I started worrying about the beans for our dinner soup.  Since I had not been home all afternoon, the beans had yet to soak for the hour that they needed before I could cook with them.  But then I remembered that Chance was home!  I could call and ask Chance to boil the beans for me so that they were soaking when I got home.  So, while I was in line at the pharmacy, I called Chance.  The conversation went like this:

Me:  Chance, I need you to get 1 cup of navy beans, and 4 cups of water.  Put them in one of our big soup.....

Chance:  What?

Me: I need you to get some navy beans in the pantry....

Chance: I can't really understand you.

Me: Chance, use your caption phone.

Chance: I am using the caption phone.

Me:  OK, turn on the captions.

Chance: The captions are on already!

Me:  Get one cup of navy beans...

Chance: Naked beans?

Me: (Laughing.) No, navy beans.  (Naked beans? I was preparing for a family meal, there would be no naked beans involved.)

Again Me:  Get 1 cup of NAVY beans....

Chance:  One cup of nady beings?

Me: (Laughing really hard so I am sure that the caption person was quite unsure how to translate what I was doing).
OK, Chance, I am going to hang up and call back so we can try again.

I thought maybe we had a bad connection.  Maybe a bad caption connection.  Meanwhile, I called back a few minutes later to try again.

Second attempt:

Me:  Chance?  Are you ready?

Chance: (Nothing.)

Me: Chance are you ready?

Chance: Yes.

Me: OK, I need you to get 1 cup of navy beans and four cups of water and put them in a soup pot until they boil.....

Chance: Nazybeans?

Me: N-A-V-Y  B-E-A-N-S.  They are little white beans in the pantry with the noodles.......

Chance: What?!

Me:  Get the white beans that are in the pantry by the noodles, put 1 cup of them in 4 cups of water and put them on high until they boil.  Then take them off the heat......no, I will be home by then just let them boil.

Navy Beans
Chance: It is really hard to understand you.

Me: I will do it when I get home in a minute.

Chance: OK, love you.

I really needed that laugh today.  And whenever I need a good cheering up, I will just think back to my naked bean discussion with Chance.

Chance had saved his conversations on the caption phone that he had with me so I was able to review them. I started to laugh all over again when I saw them.  Apparently, the caption people were not getting what I was saying either.
This is part of the actual conversation that was scrolling down the screen for Chance:

I need you to get 4 cups of water. Okay? Four coups of water. And then one dup of (muffled audio).......
laughs. NAZYBEANS Nazybeans. They're back in the pantry with the noodles. Their little white beans. Unit that one cup of beans and 4 cups of water in one of our big pot. Bring it to a boil.  Put it together and then put it on high.
The goal:  Ham and Bean Soup

AND

Okay, One cup of nady being. One cup of nady beans. I'm gong to text you. Do you have your phone?(it was dead). Okay.  One cup of (Laughs). Okay. Nady.

So, there was a communication gap between Chance and I, THAT WILL MAKE ME SMILE WHENEVER I THINK ABOUT IT FOREVER.  Poor Chance. Trying to figure out what he was supposed to be doing with naked, nazy and nady beans.  How could he know what the expectations were?

I needed that laugh today.  The soup turned out just fine, we just ate about an hour and a half later than normal. But the burn is OK, and isn't causing much discomfort and that is the most important development of the day.
And I love Chance for trying.  When I got home he was filling a pot with water and trying to piece together what he was supposed to do.  What a great kid.

Naked beans.  HA!HA!HA!

No comments: