Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sing on my son, sing on!

So far in my career of being a mother, I have managed to override the discenting voices at school that tell my boys that real men don't sing in the choir.

I am happy to report that both of my boys not only sing in the school choir, but in our church choir as well. The boys are in different choirs at school due to their ages, but that just adds to the volume of music we get to enjoy around the house.

Before his recent concert, Chance asked me if I was familiar with the Beach Boys as they would be singing some of their songs.  I assured him that I was and he was truly amazed to learn that this group has been around for decades.

Both boys benefit from learning to sing and read music etc.  And it really helps Chance to have music in his life and to learn to hear the difference in notes, and to learn to match his voice to the notes.  He has learned so much about how music works and that only helps him to enjoy music all the more with his implants.

Chance just had his first choir concert of the year and as the kids marched into the audiotorium to perform, all dressed to the nines and looking professional, I counted the boy to girl ratio.

There were 30 kids and 7 of them were boys.

I would dare say that this choir needs Chance as much as Chance needs this choir.

Chance enjoys singing and is dedicated to learning the songs even though it often takes him longer to learn the subtle differences in pitch etc.  I am so proud of him.

Chance and his group gave an entertaining performance and I look forward to seeing more of them through out the year.

In a few weeks, we will gather back at the school to see Chance and his brother perform the songs for "Les Miserables."

It is good to have a little culture in our lives.

No comments: